Detroit is Different’s Mission is to provide the Detroit community with an opportunity to share their perspectives, thoughts, feelings, and information utilizing the unique media tools of Creative Differences, Inc. Our goal is to amplify the voices and nurture the dynamic culture of our community through media. These collective voices strengthen our collective capacity to teach, convene, invest in, and find love amongst one another.
Detroit is Different’s Mission is to provide the community with an opportunity to share thoughts, emotions, and information utilizing media tools we have access to. Our goal is to amplify the dynamic culture of our community through media. These collective voices strengthen our social capital to teach, convene, invest, and find love amongst one another. – by Khary Frazier
Detroit is Different History
- In 2014, the online blog, “Detroit is Different,” was launched to highlight the dynamic culture and views of Detroiters. As of October 14, 2019, there have been over 250 posts of original content and over 100,000 views of these posts.
- In 2014, the Detroit is Different podcast series that was launched featuring interviews with Malik Yakini, Sharon McPhail, Phil Cooley, and more. As of October 14, 2019, there are 119 episodes that have received 81,665 listens.
- In 2017, Detroit is Different Facebook page was launched to promote clients’ messages and assist in the sale of their products. As of October 14, 2019, the page has posted 6,543 minutes of original video content from over 8,500 videos. This has resulted in 5,317 Likes, 5,347 Followers, 26,300 people reached in advertising, 1,300 event responses, and 190 ticket buys.
- In 2017, the Detroit is Different Incubator space was opened at 1652 Clements in Detroit to provide local artists and activists a platform to create content.
- In 2019, an additional podcast network, Detroit is Different After Dark, was launched. This new network was created to broaden the mix of Detroit subcultures that Detroit is Different gave voice to. As of December 29, 2019, these podcasts had received over 60,000 unique listens from across the United States in the year 2019.
- The first annual Detroit is Different Festival was hosted from October 24 through October 27, 2019, at the Andy Arts Center in Detroit to provide a new forum to promote the messages, products, and goals of local artists, service providers, and organizations
Detroit is Different Goals
- Raise the social capital of Detroit is Different to the people aware and unaware of the content creation entity
- Introduce creatives with varied cultural taste to one another
- Bring to life the creativity of all Detroit is Different content creators
- Produce a dynamic multi-cultural event within a Detroit residential neighborhood which lacks sufficient artistic outlets of expression
- Welcome all guests to experience a wide array of sub-cultures of Detroit guided by the content creators associated with Detroit is Different
- Host a series of discussions about the role culture plays in the quality of life
- Facilitate content creators bringing to life online experiences
- Strengthen a foundation of creativity that can build more events and artistry
- Document the event in audio, video, and photo of culture from Content Creators
- Offer and encourage guest ratings and reviews